Washington, DC - The Department of State has published an interim final rule that makes changes to the passport book fees and fees related to the relinquishment of nationality. In addition, on October 4, 2015 the Department will lower the processing fee for the Border Crossing Card (BCC) for Mexican citizens under age 15 whose parent or guardian has or is applying for a BCC, because a surcharge on the nonimmigrant visa fee will sunset on that date.

Effective September 26, 2015 the Department of State is lowering the passport book application fee by $20 and raising the passport book security surcharge (enhanced border security fee) by $20 to more accurately reflect the cost of each aspect of the passport book service. The amount paid by the customer for a passport book will not change.

In addition, effective November 9, 2015, the Department of State will adjust the processing fee for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality to all U.S. nationals seeking to document relinquishment of nationality. All such U.S. nationals will pay a $2,350 processing fee.

The proposed fee changes have been published in the Federal Register. To view the interim final rule, visit www.regulations.gov and search for RIN 1400-AD71. Comments will be accepted until November 9, 2015. At that time, the Department will consider the public comments, and the published final rule will include the Department’s response to relevant comments received.

Separately, the Department is also decreasing the BCC fee for Mexican citizens under age 15 whose parent or guardian has applied or is applying for a border crossing card. One of the special immigrant program surcharges (P.L. 113-42), which began on October 4, 2013, will sunset on October 4, 2015. At that time, the Border Crossing Card fee for Mexican citizens under age 15 will return to $16.

Because this change to the BCC fee for minors under the age of 15 was already published as a Final Rule on December 31, 2014, there is no public comment period.

The fees for all other consular services will remain the same. Fee information can also be found on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, travel.state.gov, and on the websites of U.S. embassies and consulates.