El Centro, California - On Tuesday, at approximately 6:32 pm, officers from the El Centro Police Department responded to the area of 8th and Buena Vista in what was initially reported as a fight in the area.  The officers as well as the ECPD Communication Center also received information that a vehicle was driven into a residence on the 700 block of Buena Vista.  It also collided with three people in the driveway/carport causing unknown injuries.  The driver fled the scene in the vehicle and later collided with two poles in the area of 8th and Rose which rendered the vehicle inoperable. The driver proceeded to flee the scene of the second collision on foot.

With assistance from witnesses to the incident, the officers were able to identify the suspect as El Centro resident Fernando Gutierrez (41 years old).  Gutierrez was believed to have used his vehicle to drive into the carport area of a residence as well as three people who were standing in front.  Two adult males and one adult female were underneath the carport on the south side of the residence when Gutierrez drove his vehicle into and through a pillar, which held up the carport, and purposefully collided into the three people with his vehicle.  After the vehicle came to a rest, Gutierrez backed out of the carport/driveway and proceeded to flee the area south on 8th Street. Gutierrez’ vehicle sustained major damage in the collision to the extent that it is believed that he lost control and collided with two poles in the area of 8th and Rose.  After coming to rest, Gutierrez then fled the traffic collision scene on foot. Officers arriving in the area began to canvas the area searching for Gutierrez.  After an extensive search, Gutierrez was located in the area of 200 N. Imperial and taken into custody without incident. Gutierrez was transported to the hospital for medical treatment prior to booking at the Imperial County Jail.  Gutierrez was booked at the Imperial County Jail for attempted murder (664/187PC).

The information provided thus far indicates this was an act of retribution for a previous fight between Gutierrez and at least two of the subjects at the residence.  The three individuals who were stuck by the vehicle were treated for their injuries, one was transported with what is believed to be non-life threatening injuries.