Washington, DC - “As more countries normalize relations with Israel — which will happen quite quickly, we believe — the region will become more and more stable, secure, and prosperous.” ~ Donald J. Trump, President of the United States
ACHIEVING PEACE: President Donald J. Trump has brokered a peace agreement between Morocco and Israel—the fourth such agreement in just 4 months.
- Morocco and Israel agreed to make peace, normalize their relations, and in the coming weeks will resume full diplomatic relations.
- The agreement will allow the two to work to promote increased economic cooperation, reopen the liaison offices in Rabat and Tel Aviv, and discuss other areas of cooperation.
- Through this historic step, Morocco is building on its long-standing bond with the Moroccan Jewish community living in Morocco and throughout the world, including in Israel.
- This expansion of the Abraham Accords further enhances Israel’s security, while creating opportunities for the two countries to deepen their economic ties and improve the lives of their people.
- Yesterday, President Trump announced American recognition of Moroccan sovereignty over the Western Sahara, as well as our intention to open a United States consulate in the region.
- The United States believes that Morocco’s autonomy plan is the only realistic option to achieve a just, lasting, and mutually acceptable solution to the dispute over Western Sahara.
- Morocco is one of the oldest and closest allies of the United States and every Administration since President Clinton has affirmed its support for Morocco’s autonomy proposal.
- President Trump urges all parties to constructively engage with the United Nations and consider creative and genuine ways to move the peace process forward.
- This recognition leaves room for a negotiated solution and the United States remains committed to working with Morocco, the Polisario, and all involved regional and international actors to support the necessary work ahead and create a more peaceful and prosperous region.
- Thanks to the President’s bold foreign policy vision and his acumen as a dealmaker, nations across the Middle East and Africa are realizing the benefits of his work to promote prosperity and peace throughout the world.
- The President’s wise foreign policy strategy has created the conditions for peace between Israel and its neighbors.
- Likewise, after decades of instability, the Middle East and Africa are experiencing the most rapid geopolitical transformation in over a generation.
- The United States will continue to stand with the people of the region as they work to build a brighter, more hopeful future.