Washington, DC - "This time, we will not only plant our flag and leave our footprint, we will establish a foundation for an eventual mission to Mars and perhaps, someday, to many worlds beyond." ~ President Donald J. Trump
ACCELERATING AMERICA’S SPACE EXPLORATION: President Donald J. Trump is setting a bold goal to put Americans back on the Moon by 2024.
- President Trump has received five recommendations, unanimously approved by his National Space Council, to accelerate America’s space exploration program.
- President Trump also received four recommendations on streamlining export control regulations that followed a year-long review.
- The NASA Administrator will provide an update on the implementation of Space Policy Directive-1 (SPD-1) and the recommendations at the next Space Council meeting.
- The United States will seek to land on the Moon’s South Pole by 2024, establish a sustainable human presence on the Moon by 2028, and chart a future path for Mars exploration.
- NASA’s lunar presence will focus on science, resource management, and risk reduction for future missions to Mars.
- NASA will create a Moon-to-Mars Mission Directorate and make all necessary efforts to achieve Exploration Mission-1, a foundational uncrewed mission around the Moon.
- Exploration Mission-1 will take place no later than 2020 and a crewed mission around the Moon, Exploration Mission-2, will take place no later than 2022.
- NASA will unleash American industry, including through public-private partnerships, to enhance innovation and the sustainability of its space activities.
- To implement SPD-1, NASA will continue to improve its structure and management, and improve cost and schedule performance, seeking legislative authorization as necessary.
- The United States will engage with international partners to enable a sustainable lunar exploration and development program.
DARING AGAIN: President Trump is building a space program worthy of our great Nation and the American spirit.
- An American has not walked on the Moon in 47 years, but President Trump is working to change that.
- To achieve this goal, President Trump is taking action to ensure that American astronauts get to their destination quickly and sustainably.
REIGNITING AMERICA’S SPACE LEGACY: President Trump is keeping his promise to restore America’s proud legacy of leadership in space.
- These recommendations follow President Trump’s bold call for America to go back to the Moon and establish a foundation for an eventual mission to Mars.
- In December 2017, President Trump signed SPD-1, “Reinvigorating America’s Human Space Exploration Program.”
- The President’s Space Policy calls for NASA to lead an innovative space program with commercial and international partners.
- Americans will return to the Moon for long-term exploration, followed by missions to Mars and beyond.
- President Trump has signed three additional SPDs to restore American leadership in space.