Washington, DC - "We must deny the terrorists safe haven, transit, funding, and any form of support for their vile and sinister ideology." ~ President Donald J. Trump
MODERNIZING SANCTIONS: President Donald J. Trump is taking steps to expand and enhance the ability of the United States to sanction terrorists and those who finance them worldwide.
- Today, President Trump announced an Executive Order that modernizes our counterterrorism sanctions to better combat terrorists, their finances, and their facilitators.
- This order significantly improves our ability to sanction supporters of terrorism and deprive them of financial, material, and logistical support.
- The Departments of State and the Treasury are now able to more swiftly target leaders or officials of terrorist groups and their proxies.
- Additionally, the Treasury can now sanction correspondent or payable-through accounts of foreign financial institutions who knowingly provide support to terrorists.
- This is the most significant expansion of our counterterrorism sanctions authorities since the aftermath of 9/11.
- Alongside the Order, the Trump Administration announced sanctions on 28 terrorist leaders, financiers, and affiliated companies associated with multiple terrorist organizations.
COMBATING TERROR WORLDWIDE: The Trump Administration is bolstering our capabilities and efforts to defend against and combat terrorism worldwide.
- The Administration has aggressively used counterterrorism sanctions authorities to disrupt terrorist finances by targeting more than 400 individuals and entities worldwide.
- Since 2017, the Trump Administration sanctioned more than 40 Hizballah and 50 al-Qa’ida and ISIS affiliated individuals and entities.
- One-hundred percent of ISIS-held territory in Syria and Iraq has been freed from the terror group’s malevolent rule.
- The Administration has taken the fight to al-Qa’ida, aggressively targeting the group’s leadership and countering their vile activities around the globe.
- President Trump’s maximum pressure campaign against Iran is greatly reducing the radical regime’s access to funds it uses to spread terror and incite destruction.
- New sanctions have significantly curtailed funding to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, its Qods Force, and its proxies including Hizballah and HAMAS.
PROTECTING THE HOMELAND: The Trump Administration is committed to ensuring that America is secure and its citizens always remain safe from the threat of global terrorism.
- This latest Executive Order is another example of President Trump’s unwavering commitment to protect the United States from terror.
- Last October, President Trump released a new National Strategy for Counterterrorism, the first robust and fully articulated strategy on counterterrorism since 2011.
- At President Trump’s urging, North Atlantic Treaty Organization members agreed to strengthen the alliance’s counterterrorism authorities and capabilities.
- After years of neglect, President Trump is strengthening our Nation’s defenses by rebuilding our military and strengthening our defensive capabilities.
- The President is securing our borders to defend against terrorists who seek to enter our country and threaten our communities.