Category: National News

Washington, DC - The State of Alabama will conduct a special general election on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, for the office of U.S. Senator to replace Jeff Sessions.

Service members, eligible family members and overseas citizens may use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), which is the registration and ballot request form accepted by all States and territories. Complete, sign and send the FPCA to your election office. If you are a resident of Alabama, register and request an absentee ballot today starting at

If you are not currently registered, your FPCA needs to be postmarked by November 27; if you are currently registered, your FPCA ballot request must be postmarked by December 7.

Be sure to double-check your contact information is accurate in case your election office needs to reach you.

Ballots will be sent beginning October 27 for those who have requested them. If you do not receive your requested State ballot, there’s a backup ballot called the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) with an online assistant that provides you with the candidate list.  It’s available using the “Get My Ballot” link at ( You may also fill out the PDF (  or pick up a hardcopy version from your Voting Assistance Officer or nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

If you receive your State ballot after submitting the FWAB, you should still complete and return it, as well.  Only one ballot per person will be counted.

If you'd like more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program or need help with the absentee voting process please go to or call FVAP at 703-588-1584 (toll free 1-800-438-VOTE or DSN 425-1584) or email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)